Thursday, 28 May 2015

My Days In Morocco

Day 1

When arriving after a 3hr40min flight to Marrakech Menara Airport at approximately 10 in the morning we were absolutely exhausted! We decided that we were going to have a chilled day and getting to know the city for ourselves. We roamed the streets of this culture-packed country. This is my first time in this continent and the harsh heat and exotic feel was definitely something we both were not used too! We visited the Koutoubia Mosque and visited the souks for the first time. Loosing out souk-virginity was also extremely overwhelming. We were bombarded with locals attempting to pitch and sell their goods. We witnessed little stalls filled with colourful trinkets and smells. We had no idea what to expect! We saw a women dressed in a burka who grabbed on to my wrist and began to draw intricate designs using henna. It was not what i wanted, however she insisted and continued to vandalise my wrists- it was beautiful though. After completing her work of art on to my arm she demanded we paid her. We were not impressed. However due to our unfamiliarity with the currency and what prices to expect Daniel gave her 50MAD! As we followed walking the maze like streets of these markets we followed directions of a mad who was parked beside food stalls, he generously directed us towards the famous Jemaa el Fna Square. As we followed we came to realisation he was touring us, and would request payment after! We ran off in the opposite direction straight out of the souks. We then called it a day, and returned back to our hotel for an early night!

Day 2

We bounced out of the bed after a 14hour sleep and enjoying our inclusive breakfast we were pumped to discover Marrakech! We were quoted the price of 50DH to visit Palmeraie gardens to ride camels! This was completely spontaneous and we enjoyed it so much. We made friends with a man called Faisal who spoke to us and dressed us in headscarfs and made our journey full of laughter. We rode the camels through the garden for approximately 30minutes and got dropped back to our taxi driver. He took us to a location called Beber Pharmarcia where we were introduced to many herbal medications and cosmetics. The women there presented us with various types of herbal remedies which included natural viagra! She made us test her products and we purchased the famous Argan oil and other herbal remedies (OFC not the natural viagra). After our unusual shopping experience, we made our way to the square where we used a map and found our way back Jardin Majorelle which was the home of the memorial of Yves St Laurent. This park was beautiful and full of colour and I really enjoyed it (Take a look at the snaps from my previous post!). Wow i love being a tourist. As we returned to the hotel we took a dip in the ice cold water and bathed for a bit. Great end to an exhausting day. 

Day 3

On this day we visited the Ourika Valley, here we observed the unstable wooden footbridges and the beautiful views from the mountains. This was something which was extremely beautiful and we visited a little stall where a man greeted us who showed us his shop. He was named 'Mohammed Cous Cous' he was a lovely man who showed us around and insisted we purchase something from his shop, so we did. After we did he asked for a tip however we refused due to not having enough funds! His face dropped and he gifted me with this little silver bracelet. We felt really bad. After returning back to Marrakech we revisited the souks and purchased trinkets for friends and family. We grabbed a late lunch. When we arrived back to the hotel we got ready and saw the beautiful skies as the sun set from our hotel view. It was tranquil and colourful. We got ready and dined at the most exquisite place (check out my restaurant review- Comptier Darna). Great tagine and atmosphere! 

Day 4

Early start. We got picked up at our holiday at 8am and were ready to visit the cascades d'ouzoud waterfalls. We jumped into the minibus. The journey took approximately 3hours and we arrived into see the beauty of africa. The tour began as we climbed down the hills to reach the end of the waterfalls. We swam in the waterfalls in the cold water and enjoyed the beauty of the surroundings. I have always been someone who is afraid of deep water, I fear water that does not allow me to touch it with my feet. Therefore I refused to make a jump from the small cliff into the water. Daniel did! he really enjoyed it and went for seconds! it was a refreshing swim as we continued with our trek to the main waterfall. As we arrived we was stunned. It was absolutely beautiful. We travelled on a cute little pink boat towards the waterfall, the water sprinkled against our faces in the hot sun. We took so many photos (check out the marrakech post!) and as we got off the boat we ate our lunch opposite the waterfalls as we enjoyed the weather and sounds. After filling ourselves up, we continued to climb back up the waterfalls, daniel would not let me climb to the top as he doubted my skills to stay alive as he often describes me as clumsy. As we reached the tops we were welcomed by monkeys everywhere! We played and held them as we continued to make our way out of the waterfalls. This day was one of the best days of my life, i have never seen such beauty before and I really really recommend it! 

Day 5

Another early start and our last night in Morocco has begun. We had another delightful excursion as we travelled to Essaouira (see previous post). It was unlike any other part of morocco, it was peaceful yet still full of life. We grabbed lunch as we were joined by lurking cats and we finished our shopping in the less busy souks. We walked past the boats and onto the sand. We met some lovely people on our minibus from Paris, it was so nice too meet people who were so different to us yet so similar. This was a relaxing day, it was just what we needed, however the built up pain in our bodies from the week did need some relaxing. We made our way back to the hotel around 7 and got a Hammam done! This is a traditional bath which involves scrubbing with natural products and being present in a steam room. It was disappointing as we expected more from it, we paid 200DH each for 30minutes and it was really not worth the time. However it did relax our bodies and we did laugh lots at the fact we were naked in a room with a women who we didn't know, who was scrubbing our bodies! haha. After our hammams we got on a horse carriage which travelled around marrakech as we witnessed marrakech at night! the square was crowded and full of beauty and culture and we were extremely surprised too see so many enthusiastic people in one place at the same time!

Day 6

Our final day! we checked out of the hotel at 12 midday and decided on discovering the new city of Marrakech. We walked our way down towards the train station and to the Carre Eden Mall. We decided we were going to be londoners in Morocco. We indulged in starbucks as we looked into the modern day shops. These shops were more expensive that I imagined! However we looked around and played cards in the centre as we enjoyed morocco dominoes which was extremely different for dinner. We made our way back to the hotel and played a few games of pool before we left the hotel for good, collecting our suitcases and on the plane back to our very homes.